Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Transitive Dependencies in Visual Studio 2022

Visual Studio 2022 17.3 and the latest preview of Visual Studio 2022 which is Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.4 Preview 1 were released last week.

I am seeing this fantastic feature in the latest preview, I can now see all the Transitive Dependencies of the installed packages from the NuGet Package Manager.
Transitive Dependencies in Visual Studio
This is very helpful in understanding the dependency tree of the packages. When I hovered over a Transitive Dependency, I can see which Top-level package brought that in.
Transitive Dependency in Visual Studio
And say one of the Transitive Dependencies has a vulnerability, and if we have an updated version of that, we can install it and promote it to a Top-level dependency.

According to the NuGet team, this feature was released as an experimental feature in Visual Studio 2022 17.3 and if you’re a part of the Visual Studio experiment group, you’ll be able to see your transitive dependencies whenever you’re managing your NuGet packages in Visual Studio. I am surprised I haven't seen this in a previous preview build, only started seeing this in Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.4 Preview 1. Can't check whether it's there in Visual Studio 2022 17.3, I am only using the latest preview always. Maybe this feature is available on Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.4 Preview 1 or I am part of the Visual Studio experiment group 😍.

Anyway, try to be on the latest Visual Studio Preview, you are going to love it.

Happy Coding.

Regards,
Jaliya

No comments:

Post a Comment