Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.5 Preview 2: Text Visualizer Improvements

In this post let's explore some nice improvements that got added to Text Visualizer in Visual Studio. This got shipped with Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.5 Preview 2

I actually found this accidentally and it's so handy!

Say I have a string variable that holds a JWT token and I want to decode it for some debugging purpose. Usually what I would do is copy-pasting the token into https://jwt.io or https://jwt.ms or some external JWT decoding tool. What if we can see the decoded token without leaving Visual Studio? And that's exactly what the new Text Visualizer brings to the table.

Say I want to see the decoded token of the following.
Debugging a string
I need to click on the View button. And then I am presented with the following.
Text Visualizer
I can just select JWT Decode and just like that I can see the decoded token. 

Along that, you can see there are more options to manipulate the string such as Base64 Encode & DecodeUrl Encode & Decode etc.

Isn't that great? I just love this. Remember, if you want to try this out, you need to install the latest Visual Studio 2022 Preview.

Hope this helps.

Happy Coding.

Regards,
Jaliya

No comments:

Post a Comment