Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.5 Preview 2: Text Visualizer Improvements

In this post let's explore some nice improvements that got added to Text Visualizer in Visual Studio. This got shipped with Visual Studio 2022 Version 17.5 Preview 2. 

I actually found this accidentally and it's so handy!

Say I have a string variable that holds a JWT token and I want to decode it for some debugging purpose. Usually what I would do is copy-pasting the token into https://jwt.io or https://jwt.ms or some external JWT decoding tool. What if we can see the decoded token without leaving Visual Studio? And that's exactly what the new Text Visualizer brings to the table.

Say I want to see the decoded token of the following.
Debugging a string
I need to click on the View button. And then I am presented with the following.
Text Visualizer
I can just select JWT Decode and just like that I can see the decoded token. 

Along that, you can see there are more options to manipulate the string such as Base64 Encode & Decode,  Url Encode & Decode etc.

Isn't that great? I just love this. Remember, if you want to try this out, you need to install the latest Visual Studio 2022 Preview.

Hope this helps.

Happy Coding.

Regards,
Jaliya

No comments:

Post a Comment